Thursday, May 7, 2015

May 8, 2015

Curriculum Connections...

Happy TGIF to everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful week - our first week in a while without any state tests or make-up tests - WOOO HOOO!  I would like to begin by wishing everyone who is celebrating a HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY on Sunday! I hope each of our Cantiague moms has an awesome day and weekend because you all deserve to be celebrated and honored for all that you do each and every day—both here at school and at home. I am seriously in awe of each of you because somehow you manage to fill the roles of teacher, parent, psychologist, caregiver and advocate all day at school and then go home to your own children/families and fill these roles (& more) with grace and patience—you are all an incredible inspiration! Thank you for sharing so much of yourselves each and every day! 

It seems rather appropriate that Teacher Appreciation Week leads up to Mother's Day! I hope everyone enjoyed the week and the mini celebrations that unfolded throughout the week. Feel free to send a thank you note to our PTA because I know they really enjoyed celebrating each of you. I know I have said this before but it bares repeating... It is an honor and privilege to learn from and work with each of you on a daily basis. Your dedication, incredible work ethic and positivity makes this a space where all learners - children and adults - can thrive and prosper. 

Finally, I want to thank all of you for the congratulatory texts, emails and phone calls earlier in the week after I successfully defended my dissertation. You each played a role in my journey to this point - thank you for the support, patience and encouragement whenever I needed it. The whole dissertation defense process was quite a surreal experience and the notion that I can officially call myself "Dr. Sinanis" has yet to sink in... fortunately, I still prefer Tony - except when my mom is yelling at me.  :) 


This week, as I walked around #Cantiague this week, I spotted the following #EduWins...


  • Huge shout out to our Team K teachers who put together an awesome first day of Incoming Kindergarten Orientation. The kids were engaged in some great activities and it provided us an opportunity to get to know them - as individuals and as learners. The team also created the most amazing introduction to Kindergarten at Cantiague video that left our incoming families excited about next year. AWESOME WORK!  

  • I recently visited with Tali's class and they were inspired by the Caine's Arcade video where a child created an entire arcade using cardboard. Well, her class took the idea and ran with it and have created their own cardboard arcade and are excited to host their own carnival. This is definitely an example of the power of Genius Hour and giving kids an opportunity to create and think outside of the box - no amount of test prep or worksheets would yield the same results! 


  • I had a chance to spend some time in Adam's room and was blown away by the fact that the children were discussing potential Genius Hour projects over the summer inspired by their exploration of expository text as part of reading workshop. The children were so engaged and were so excited to share their ideas - AWESOME!



    Tech Tip of the Week...
    As we continue to explore the importance of Digital Citizenship (our in-house committee will be meeting soon), check out this article for some great tips and resources: Teacher's Guide To Digital Citizenship.


    SCHEDULE OF THE WEEK... 


    Monday, May 11
    "B" Week



    Tuesday, May 12
    Grade 4 Trip
    PTA Meeting - APPY Hour - 9:30am
    Full staff FEO @ 3pm in the Library to discuss final plans for Innovation Day!


    Wednesday, May 13
    Incoming Kindergarten student orientation - Library closed in the AM!


    Thursday, May 14
    INNOVATION DAY is here!!
    Ralph's Ices
    Board of Education Meeting - 7:30pm at MS Library



    Friday, May 15
    Happy TGIF!
    SEPTA Movie Under The Stars - 7pm @ Cantiague
    Tomorrow... Tony graduates from PENN!!!


    Kids' Korner
    While visiting a kindergarten classroom one of the kids asked, "Now that you are Dr. Sinanis, can we come to your office instead of Nurse G?" LOL... ummmmm.... NO!   :)       

    Pics of the Week...
    Check out Cantiague's Week in Tweets - click on the following link to see our Pics of the Week...


    No comments:

    Post a Comment