Thursday, April 23, 2015

April 24, 2015

Curriculum Connections...

TGIF to everyone on this final Friday of April... I don't know about you, but I am totally excited for these last few weeks of school. It means celebrations, reflections on all the amazing learning that has unfolded, end of year reading assessments, the ABC Countdown, Moving Up and Field Day just to name a few! Even things will speed by, I hope we can all slow it down and reflect on all of the amazing things we have accomplished this year... thank you all for always being willing to take a risk and try something new... BEST. SCHOOL. COMMUNITY. EVER!

Special thank you to everyone, especially Joe P., for working so hard to get our little mathematicians prepared for the NYS Math Tests! I think our kids did a really amazing job and that is because our math instruction goes above and beyond the Common Core and the state of New York. Thank you Joe for setting that bar so high and pushing our kids to think critically and reach for those deeper conceptual understandings - that is always our goal. It is such a relief to be done with the majority of the state tests... enough time wasted on disrupting learning... back to what matters... KIDS!

In other news, please note that it is Annual Review and CSE season, which means MaryAnn and I, along with many of the specialists, will have crazy schedules over the next weeks in our attempt to get to every annual review and CSE meeting. There are many classified children in our building and thus there are many meetings to attend. With that in mind, I apologize in advance for disruptions to specialists' schedules and to my own schedule... running around like a chicken without a head isn't all its cracked up to be... LOL!    


Please not this Fast Friday Focus will cover the next two weeks so hold on to it for the necessary information! 


This week, as I walked around #Cantiague this week, I spotted the following #EduWins...


  • I had a chance to be in Katie's room during independent reading time and I was so impressed with how comfortable and engaged the children were throughout the entire visit - they have grown so much this year! Their reading stamina has come such a long way and it was so great to watch them be so focused on their books and enjoying them so much. I don't care what NYS says because at Cantiague, we value the development of life long readers... not day-to-day test takers! BRAVO! 

  • While visiting Caylie's room this week, the children were engaged in an activity connected to Earth Day... turning trash into treasures. Well, the end result was very much a Genius Hour experience because the children were taking cardboard, plastic, paper and a bunch of other types of "trash" and were creating some of the coolest new treasures. The room was buzzing with ideas and energy. The best part was, they were all immersed and engaged - AWESOME!

  • While visiting Ginny's room during the shared reading experience in the morning, I was blown away by the children's ability to basically lead this experience on their own. One child was at the board with a pointer and she led the children through a reading of the poem and they were all engaged and reading the poem aloud with little teacher assistance - WOW!! Talk about lead learners! 




    Tech Tip of the Week...
    As we continue to plan for our upcoming Innovation Day (May 14th), I wanted to share this interesting article piece about how any classroom can be turned into a Makerspace, which aligns with many of our efforts this year (Genius Hour, Passion Projects, etc.). So, check it out and let me know if you are interested in buying any of these materials for your space so we can start putting together our own Maker Space. How To Turn Any Classroom Into A Makerspace!


    SCHEDULE OF THE WEEK... 


    Monday, April 27
    "B" Week
    Alites & Kupferman - Earth Day Open House - 8:45am
    Planbooks due by Thursday for all teachers!
    PTA Shoe Drive is happening this week!


    Tuesday, April 28
    Moses - Earth Day Open House - 8:45am
    Joint PTA Council - 9:30am - HS
    Full staff FEO @ 3:30pm in the Library - Innovation Day - Meet at 3:30pm in the library to debrief


    Wednesday, April 29
    Happy Wednesday! 


    Thursday, April 30
    CST @ 1:20pm
    Carvel Ice Cream Sale
    Incoming Parent K Orientation - 7pm



    Friday, May 1
    Happy May Day... it's like a fresh start for all!
    Grade 3 Trip
    PTA Ladies Luncheon
    Tony will be out today... I am defending my dissertation!



    Monday, May 4
    "A" Week
    Happy Monday... 8 weeks before we close out for the summer!


    Tuesday, May 5
    No FEO this week!
    Gr. 3 Chick Workshop
    Gr. 5 Trip to Blue Man Group - district-wide trip
    Happy Cinco De Mayo


    Wednesday, May 6
    Incoming Kindergarten Student Orientation - in Mandy's classroom - her students may be occupying the 2nd Computer Lab!


    Thursday, May 7
    CST @ 1:20pm
    PTA Executive Board - 9:30am
    Gr. 3 Spring Concert - 7pm
    Gr. 4 Spring Concert - 8pm 


    Friday, May 8
    Happy TGIF!
    Career Day... schedule and details to follow!


    Kids' Korner
    While visiting Ginny's classroom, one of her little munchkins came up to me and said, "From now I am going to call you Dr. Mustache!" Not only was the title funny but he said it with an evil voice, which made me crack up! So, I have my new personal hashtag... #DrStache!!  :)        

    Pics of the Week...
    Check out Cantiague's Week in Tweets - click on the following link to see our Pics of the Week...


    No comments:

    Post a Comment