Thursday, March 6, 2014

March 7, 2014

Curriculum Connections...

TGIF to everyone after another snow shortened week! I am so done with the snow and shoveling and trying to find parking (yes, the burden of living in NYC)! Honestly, I am even done with the cold temps - I am so happy we were able to get out for recess this week - that was totally needed... for EVERYONE! I hope everyone has some fun plans for the weekend... don't forget to turn your clocks one hour AHEAD on Saturday night... SPRING AHEAD!

I would like to start by thanking everyone for making the visit on Thursday with Barbara Bauer an amazing one! She could not stop raving about all the awesome things she observed and namely, the continuity across the grade levels - BRAVO!! YOU ALL ROCK - thanks for making me look good!!

On another note, I am excited about next week... for the opportunity to tackle the optional "NO WORKSHEET CHALLENGE!" As I mentioned at the FEO, this is an opportunity for everyone to reconsider and reframe and reconsider how we use sheets of any kind in our classrooms. The challenge is optional and I want to reiterate that I am not challenging us to go PAPERLESS... instead, let's reconsider the value of the worksheets/sheets we are using. Do the activities challenge our kids to access their critical thinking skills? Do you need the sheet to accomplish the goal? What are kids learning by completing the sheet? Things of that nature. So, not only will we save some trees but we might push ourselves out of our comfort zones and have an awesome time doing it! Please keep the dialogue flowing next week so we can discuss what sheets we feel don't count as worksheets, what activities we are doing in place of the worksheets, etc. I am so excited about NO WORKSHEET WEEK! :)     

Over the last week or so, as I walked around the building, I spotted these awesome things...


  • Loved hanging out in the gym with Rob and Phil and watching the kids participate in all the fun circus themed activities! The kids were having such a blast trying their hand at everything from cup staking to trying to create structures with the hula hoops to scarf tossing... it is a fun and AWESOME time!

  • The continuity in the area of mathematics across the grade levels is really impressive! I have seen various grade levels immersed in fractions this week and to see how the skills and concepts evolve from one grade level to the next is really awesome. The children are developing an understanding as young as second grade and then by fifth grade they are multiplying and dividing fractions - it is a wonderful thing to watch!

  • Finally, I am so incredibly impressed with the level of rigor and vigor in reading and writing instruction in kindergarten and first grade! The children are being pushed to self-reflect on what strategies they are using in both areas in Kindergarten. Also, our students in Grade 1 are experiencing book clubs and developing independent discussion skills. THIS IS CRAZY!!! 5 and 6 year olds are totally accessing their critical thinking skills and it blows me away! WOW!   

  • In case you missed it, here is the Video Update of the Week featuring Jen's & Joe's students - please show it to your class...








    Tech Tip of the Week...
    Check out this great blog post spotlighting the Explain Everything app used in conjunction with math instruction... Explain Your Thinking With Math Stations!


    SCHEDULE OF THE WEEK... 


    Monday, March 10
    "A" Week
    Today is going to be the BEST Monday of the week!



    Tuesday, March 11
    Faculty Enhancement Opportunity Cancelled!
    Happy Tuesday!


    Wednesday, March 12
    Gr. 5 DNA Field Trip- Siper & Burrows 
    We are halfway through the week!


    Thursday, March 13
    CST @ 1:20pm
    Guest Author for Grade 4 - Library CLOSED!
    Gr. 5 DNA Field Trip - Alites


    Friday, March 14
    Happy TGIF!
    Second Marking Period ENDS!


    Kids' Korner

    While doing the Video Update this week, while the children were simply supposed to introduce themselves, I zoomed in on the first child and he says... "I forgot what I am supposed to say..." LOL! Really?? Watch the video... its funny!        


    Pics of the Week...
    Check out Cantiague's Week in Tweets - click on the following link to see our Pics of the Week...


    No comments:

    Post a Comment