Thursday, March 13, 2014

March 14, 2014

Curriculum Connections...


Happy Friday to everyone as we reach the mid-point of March - one of the longest and busiest months of the school year. I know this will be a busy time for each of you with report cards, comments and subsequent parent meetings in the next couple of weeks. If I can be of any support or if you need my assistance at any parent meeting, please let me know and I will make myself available. Thank you in advance for all of your hard work - our kids appreciate it! 

Additionally, thank you to all of you who embraced the NO WORKSHEET WEEK CHALLENGE! I know it wasn't easy but I am hopeful that it was a meaningful experience for everyone to look at our practice from a different perspective. 

On another note, I am happy to share we were able to complete our second unannounced Stay Put Drill with no issues - everyone did exactly what was necessary. There was a quick response and our children's safety was ensured! Thank you for your attention to this drill as being prepared is critical in any crisis!   

Please note that this Fast Friday Focus will cover the next two weeks so please hold on to it for the schedule of the weeks!  

 

Over the last week, as I walked around the building, I spotted these awesome things in honor of NO WORKSHEET WEEK CHALLENGE...


  • Tali and Marissa totally flipped math instruction this week and there were no worksheets involved! The children were creating their own fraction stories, playing card games and they even created a hopscotch board for different fraction games throughout the week. Taking fractions OFF the paper is not an easy task but they did it beautifully - AWESOME!  

  • The entire Gr. 2 team for flipping their morning geography work and their shared reading experience so there were no worksheets involved. For example, the children studied a map on the board and then came up with different questions and information they could learn just based on the map. Or with shared reading the children were critically reflective of the text without just answer low level questions - WOW!  

  • Thank you all for making my 40th Birthday so incredibly AWESOME! I loved the whole Dress Like Mr. Sinanis experience - it was the best birthday ever!

  • In case you missed it, here is the Video Update of the Week featuring Allison's cuties and Zach L. - please show it to your class...







Tech Tip of the Week...

As an alternative to the typical tech tip, this week I want to share a video that I think is worth watching featuring a TED Talk byGeorge Couros. This video is about 20 minutes long and you don't have to watch it - just listen to it! It is about the need for change in the world of education...



  


SCHEDULE OF THE WEEK... 

Monday, March 17
"B" Week


Tuesday, March 18
Faculty Enhancement Opportunity- 3PM in the Library for all staff to continue iPad discussion!
Grade 3 class on a trip to Brooklyn Museum!
PTA Meeting at 9:45am

Wednesday, March 19
MS Counselors visit Gr. 5 classrooms
Grade 3 class on a trip to Brooklyn Museum! 


Thursday, March 20
PTA Staff Appreciation Luncheon!
CST at 1:20pm
Grade 3 class on a trip to Brooklyn Museum!


Friday, March 21
Happy TGIF!
Tony at PENN!
Cerullo's class on a trip!


Monday, March 24
"A" Week
Happy Parent/Teacher Conference Week! 


Tuesday, March 25
Levermans on a trip!
Suzy Kline visits Gr. 2 - LIBRARY CLOSED!
Report Cards Issued
No FEO!


Wednesday, March 26
Happy Wednesday!
Moses' class on a trip!


Thursday, March 27
CST at 1:20pm
Parent/Teacher Conferences 3pm... till whenever! 


Friday, March 28
Happy TGIF!
No School For Kids... PT Conferences!


Kids' Korner

While in the Library a kindergarten student asked me if I was going to be the Leprechaun this year that would mess up their classroom. I said I wasn't tiny enough to be one to which he quickly responded... "You can be the big fat leprechaun!" LOL! Really?     


Pics of the Week...
Check out Cantiague's Week in Tweets - click on the following link to see our Pics of the Week...


No comments:

Post a Comment