Well, it is hard to believe that we are reaching the end of another successful school year here at Cantiague - for many of us, our eighth (and final) year together as a collective team... a team that has been dedicated to doing what is in the best interest of ALL children even when it wasn't easy. It is also hard to believe that this is the last Fast Friday Focus I will be writing as your principal. I would be lying if I said this was fun or easy to write; in fact, the tears haven't stopped since I typed the first few words here. This journey over the last 8 years has been truly awesome on so many levels!
Being a Lead Learner of this incredible school has been such a gift for me because literally not a day went by where I didn't learn something new or saw something that blew me away or experienced something that made an impression on me. Our school is the model for what every elementary school should look like - forget about test scores and APPR or SLOs or whatever else the state threw at us - every school should just model themselves after our school and not only will children be college and career ready but they will also be LIFE ready because they are academically, socially and emotionally prepared to tackle anything. Thank you all for an awesome eight years filled with critical thinking, engaged learning and happy kids (and staff) who genuinely love coming to school!
Of course, we wouldn't be able to do the things we do in our classrooms if it weren't for certain support structures that are in place that help facilitate learning. First and foremost, thank you to Laura and Pam (and Debbie) for all of their hard work each and every day. Many people would argue that the tone of the Main Office directly impacts the climate of the rest of the building. Well, it is clear to me that our Main Office is a positive and joyful place where people feel supported and children/families feel welcomed, which can be seen in every one of our classrooms too. Pam and Laura are a dynamic duo and because of them, I know Cantiague will continue moving in the right direction - they will definitely keep the new principal in line!
Then of course there is MaryAnn, who somehow manages to take care of each child and adult in our building. Her open ear (without judgement), patience, compassion, kindness, empathy and wisdom have literally impacted every person in the Cantiague community. She juggles so much each day and does it with grace, dignity and a smile. Thank you MaryAnn for being such an important presence and for reminding us each day that no matter what is going on, it is all going to be fine!
Additionally, I want to thank Joey, Joe, Edwin, Omar, Marcel and Eduardo (our incredible custodial crew) for keeping our building clean, beautiful and safe. Without this dedicated team, who approach their work with pride and thoroughness, none of us would want to be in this space (trust me, I have seen some nasty schools) and our children wouldn't be as available to learning! Finally, I want to thank our amazing part-time aides who do so much to support the smooth running of our school. Thank you Debbie, Robyn, Linda, Melinda, Diane, Ines & Elijah (you have done so much Elijah to move our tech integration forward) for all that you do each day for our staff and kids - your jobs are not easy ones but we appreciate and value your daily efforts in keeping the students safe and supporting different spaces in the building! Cantiague is a special place because every member of the community plays a critical role - THANK YOU!
Congratulations again to everyone moving on to a new job, grade level or phase in their lives - best of luck! And to everyone getting married or having a baby or any other life changing event - I wish you the best!
It is hard to believe that 8 years have come and gone and that so much has happened during that time. We have laughed (a LOT), cried, discussed, deliberated, partied (we do have the best parties), sang, danced, learned, played games, taught, supported each other, turned gay (sorry - I couldn't help it), celebrated, grieved, blogged, tweeted and everything in between and the best part is that we have done it together. The tremendous amount of love and respect that I feel towards each and every one of you cannot accurately be captured here but know that you all hold a special place in my heart (and in my family's hearts) and that I leave Cantiague a better educator; a better father; a better partner; a better son; a better leader; and a better person. Thank you all for contributing to my journey and growth over the last eight years - I will not cry because it is over but instead I will smile because it happened. I love you all and I wish everyone the best moving forward.
Finally, I hope that EVERYONE will leave a comment this week to share their HIGHLIGHT of the 2015-2016 school year. It is easy to do and will only take a couple of minutes... do it from a desktop computer - it will be easier!
Tech Tip of the Week...
Take this summer to try something new... explore a new blog; try out a new app or find a passion to explore! This will be a great way to prepare for the 2016-2017 school year.
SCHEDULE OF THE WEEK...
Monday, June 13
"A" Week
Gr. 5 Trip to Crestwood
Gr. 5 Trip to Crestwood
Tuesday, June 14
F.E.O. at 3pm in the Library
Final PTA Meeting - 9am to 11am
Literacy Planning Day Gr. 4 & 2
SEPTA Awards Night - 7pm MS Library
Final PTA Meeting - 9am to 11am
Literacy Planning Day Gr. 4 & 2
SEPTA Awards Night - 7pm MS Library
Wednesday, June 15
Happy Wednesday... the last FULL Wednesday of the year!
Literacy Planning Day Gr. 3 & 5
STAFF PARTY
Literacy Planning Day Gr. 3 & 5
STAFF PARTY
Thursday, June 16
Literacy Planning Day Gr. K & 1
Pre-Paid Ice Cream Sale
Final Board of Ed Meeting Honoring Retirees!
Pre-Paid Ice Cream Sale
Final Board of Ed Meeting Honoring Retirees!
Friday, June 17
Happy Friday!
Kindergarten Open House - 8:45am
PTA Sponsors an Ice Cream Party During Recess
Kindergarten Open House - 8:45am
PTA Sponsors an Ice Cream Party During Recess
Monday, June 20
"B" Week
Gr. 5 Moving Up at 9am!
Gr. 5 Moving Up Party - 6pm
I will be meeting with teachers over the next 2 days in 10 minute slots for end of the year evals
Gr. 5 Moving Up at 9am!
Gr. 5 Moving Up Party - 6pm
I will be meeting with teachers over the next 2 days in 10 minute slots for end of the year evals
Tuesday, June 21
F.E.O. at 3pm in the Library
LAST FULL DAY OF SCHOOL
LAST FULL DAY OF SCHOOL
Wednesday, June 22
Students dismissed at 11:45am
Thursday, June 23
Students dismissed at 11:45am
Friday, June 24
Happy LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!
Zoom and Zip into SUMMER!!!
Zoom and Zip into SUMMER!!!
A cherished memory will always be when we gathered around the beautiful tree that was planted in honor of our sweet and endlessly optimistic Phyllis Savorese. Just as Phyllis has always been, those who enter Cantiague that may leave, a part of them will always remain. Best of luck to you Tony.
ReplyDelete-Jeffrey Shanzer
My favorite memory with Dr. Sinanis is when he made the whole faculty laugh and laugh at our fist meeting together. I knew at that moment that he had a great sense of humor, and we all would appreciate that!
ReplyDeleteKaren Moses
Tony--
ReplyDeleteWatching you perform with pride at the 4th grade orchestra concert after just 2 months of lessons will go down as one of the greatest moments in my teaching career (and I only have 1 year under my belt!). I hope you are proud of what you accomplished as a musician, and hope you are able to continue!!
--Aimee
My highlight of the 2015-2016 year was definitely Innovation Day. I missed it last year when I was out on maternity leave. I loved getting to know all of the first grade students a little bit more. The hands on activities were a blast!
ReplyDeleteGood luck Tony on your new adventure. Thank you so much for all that you have done for us here at Cantiague. Plainedge is very lucky to have you on their team!
I think my all time, funniest, favorite memory I have is....Heads Up! (Even though that never happened!)
ReplyDeleteThere are so many memories we've shared - we've laughed and cried, high-fived and embraced - I'll remember all of them fondly. #DC :) Love you!
My favorite part of this year was Innovation Day. Watching all the kids creating and working together towards a common goal was amazing to see. I love that you implemented that in our school. My daughter often talks about how she wishes she had you for her principal. The kids in your new district are so lucky to have you be a part of their world. As we have been so fortunate to have you in ours for the past 8 years!
ReplyDelete:-) Karina
Tony, Thank you for you kind words about me, but honestly, I feel that I gain so much from being here and learning from you and my colleagues everyday! Our "family" is very special to me and I absolutely love being a part of it! Some of my favorite memories this year center around the amazing hugs of a certain first grade boy who probably wouldn't be here if you weren't the principal!! Thanks for always putting kids first and knowing that with love and understanding, everything else will fall into place!! Love YOU!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite part of the year is when Donna and Nick welcomed baby Lia into the world. Donna is the amazing mommy I knew she would be. Thanks to all of you who kept checking up with me to see if I was okay without my "spouse". The excitement and warmth coming from all of you when asking about Donna and the baby when she was on her leave is just another way you proved that you are not only colleagues, but you are family. Thank you to Tony for always fostering the caring and loving environment that we are lucky enough to come to every day! I feel truly blessed to have had the opportunity to take this ride with you during these past 8 years.
ReplyDeleteFunniest memory for me...being in the supply closet with Joe P. and telling him I was pregnant, starting to hysterically cry, and then apologizing because I had just met him. I had just come back from being excessed and found out I was pregnant a week later. I didn't know how Tony would react. Tony, you hugged me and said we'd make it work and that this was a happy thing, not a crying thing. Poor Joe P. LOL
ReplyDeleteI have so many amazing and fond memories with you, Tony. It is so hard to choose one. What I will remember most about you is that you have touched my life, you have made me a better teacher, & you have inspired me in more ways than one. You are truly a one of a kind person. A beautiful person, boss, and friend to all. I am going to miss you!!! ~Rande
ReplyDeleteThe thing I will always remember about working with you Tony, is the hiring process. You were so kind, friendly and supportive right from the start. I was shocked to hear that my demo lesson was going to be done with your son Paul! I remember calling everyone I knew to say how nervous I was to teach a lesson to the principal's son! That process was unique and made me feel connected and welcomed right from the very beginning. Thanks for believing in and taking a risk with hiring a young, city teacher. The building will truly not be the same without you. We will all miss you!
ReplyDeleteThe thing that I will always remember is being so upset that I was coming to a new school after being in the Middle School for 10 years. Then I got a phone call from you and knew that everything was going to be okay. You are so personable and easy to talk to. You will be missed.
ReplyDeleteLois
My best memory from the past 2 years has been being able to work with everyone in the building and getting to know the entire staff and each and every child at Cantiague. Even on the craziest of days, Tony, you always make sure to thank me for my hard work and make me feel appreciated. I am so thankful to have started my career as an educator with your guidance and positive energy to keep me pushing forward. You will be greatly missed!
ReplyDeleteCaylie
Tony my best memories of you are the ones that really shouldn't be the "best" but funny enough are the ones that keep finding their way into my head. Every time I thought I made a mistake or "messed up" only to find your mind sincere words on the other side. You have ALWAYS- in the 8 years you have been my lead learner, taught me that it's okay to make mistakes. And in turn that is how I have grown as a teacher, to not just say it but show my kids it's okay to make mistakes and continue to give them the most positive love and respect like you have done time and time and time again with me
ReplyDeleteThe memory that will always stay with me is when Tony sat with me when I was faced with a life change I had never imagined. He took time out of his incredibly busy day to listen, support and encourage me. That conversation helped to set me on a path of strength and hope that changed my life for good. I am forever grateful!
ReplyDeleteXOXO
Kimmi
Joe P: So many wonderful memories over the past 8 years.. Gotta say some of my favorite times were when we all got together at breakfasts, special lunches, and at mid year and end year parties. It's so nice that we all enjoy spending time together!! We're very lucky that we all get along so well!!
ReplyDeleteOur luck began when we all first met you 8 years ago. Too many good times to mention, but some of my favorite memories are when you say "Good times!" and when you REALLY say how you feel. You always kept it real! We will miss you, but know we can text you, call you, email you, "Tweet you" anytime! Good luck in the new position! You definitely deserve it! xoxo
ReplyDeleteDear Tony,
ReplyDeleteOur favorite memory of you is when you visited our room after you had taken a special course on classroom design. You went all "feng shui" on us and our classroom has never looked better! Thanks for all the new furniture and all the happy memories you've left behind!
Love,
-Team Alites
I am just one of the many lives you have touched! You gave me the opportunity to fulfill a dream, you simply believed in me when I had doubts(I know,so unlike me!!) This has changed my life for the better and I will be forever grateful. I wish you all things good,happiness, and lots of laughter. There are a whole bunch of people who don't know yet how fortunate they are... lucky them!
ReplyDeleteWith Love,
Jeanne