Happy TGIF to all... and to all a Happy November! That's right my friends... it is NOVEMBER (and please note this Fast Friday Focus will cover the next two weeks)! That means the holidays are just around the corner but not before we reach that point we have to get ready for some real fun... REPORT CARDS & REPORT CARD COMMENTS!!! WOOOO HOOOO!! I am hoping that little joke of mine made you all smile for a second because the truth is, I know how time consuming and laborious the whole process is for everyone. You all devote so much time and energy to the process and I really believe it is worth all the effort because your comments paint a complete picture. With that being said please make sure that the report card and report card comment are not the first time a family member hears about something concerning or negative. Additionally, I challenge everyone to think about ways to get the children involved in the evaluation process... let them grade themselves in some way. Maybe a short reflection, a blank report card or a list of goals for what they want to improve moving forward. Whatever the case, it is important that we try and include student voice in the evaluation process!
Earlier this week I had the opportunity to enjoy lunch with some 2nd and 4th graders - and I can honestly say that it was the highlight of my day. These kids won a raffle at Homecoming two weeks ago and the prize was lunch with me. I don't know that I would have considered lunch with my principal a "prize" when I was in elementary school but these kids sure did and they were super excited to hang out with me.
Although there were lots of laughs and stories exchanged, the discussion went far beyond our favorite TV shows or most annoying sibling (yup, that came up too). At some point we started talking about school and the experiences they were having as learners in the building. The insights and perspectives they shared were awesome and so informative for me as an educator in the building. I couldn't help but think, I need to do this every day - just sit and listen to kids because they know what is working and what needs to change.

This lunch date made me think about my experience as an educator where I have made thousands of decisions that I believed were in the best interest of our children. I think that for the most part I am successful with these decisions and I work hard to give our students what they need regardless of readiness levels. With that being said, we cannot forget the importance of including student voices in the decisions we make, especially in the ones that will have a direct impact on them and their learning (read this piece from Johns Hopkins about giving students voice or this research from the Gates foundation about listening to students).
Our students have important insights and valuable perspectives and from my vantage point, they are our most important "clients" so listening to our kids (and acting on their ideas) should be a priority for us as educators. So, we may have to get comfortable with relinquishing some of the control but the end result will be amplifying student voice and empowering students to have a say in the future of their school and their learning.
#EDUWINS for the week included...
- While visiting Janine's room the children were immersed in setting up their "offices" as recommended by JoEllen - it was so cool to watch! The children had their own folder situation and within each folder that were references (like mini-anchor charts) for both math and ELA. The children were having so much fun putting them together and the end result is that they will have a handy resource that they can access whenever they need it!
- The entire Grade 4 team during their writing celebration where the children shared their pieces with each other across classrooms - the exchanges and feedback were so impressive! I had a chance to sit in while Tali's class shared with Alex's and Rosanna's class and the children shared such specific and relevant feedback that was reflective of actively listening to the other child's piece. The children commented on everything from the use of similes to the fact that the descriptive language helped the reader form vivid mind movies. The overall experience was not only important but it was AWESOME too!
- Kim in the speech room did an awesome job helping two students address their stutter. It was so amazing to watch her in action and explicitly point out to the children how they were tightening their lips before speaking and how that lead to "bumpy"/"sticky" speech instead of smooth speech (sometimes pointing out what the children do wrong is more important than celebrating what they did right). The children were so responsive to her feedback and did an awesome job periodically using smooth speech!
Blogs Worth Reading...
Tweens, Teens & Screens: What The New Research Shows by Michael Robb
6 Effective Ways to Stop Bullying and Teach Kindness To Kids by Laura McClure
7 Tips For Your Next Read Aloud by Monica Burns
Staff Reflection/Blog...
Our latest post comes from Adam who shares an important reflection on music and the arts in the elementary classroom...
The other night I was watching TV and one of the commercials about keeping art and music in the classroom started to play. While budgets have tightened and money is less available in schools, we need to continue to find creative ways to keep the special components of school in place. Music and art are two of these special components that our children are so fortunate to participate in each week during their specials. In addition, I find it so valuable to include them in my classroom practices as well as so many students have strengths in these areas. Music and art bring so much happiness to so many children. For some, these are the areas in which they most excel. So, I have made it a goal to embed music and art into my classroom instruction whenever possible.
When I play classical background music I find many children find it soothing and it relaxes them while they write. A class song unites a group of children and is something they will always remember. Adding illustrations or creative artwork to projects motivates children, especially when the general assignment may be very challenging for them.
As I think about these two components of school it gives me pleasure to watch a child swaying his head to a song during writing workshop, creating an imaginative illustration related to a picture book read aloud during reading workshop, and seeing my class unite as they belt out our class song. It is these inclusions that keep some students working harder and harder.
As adults we all enjoy music and art in different ways as it makes us feel emotions. Listening to Elphaba and Glinda sing, “Because I knew you, I have been changed for good,” in Wicked makes us reflect on the people who have touched us in our lives. Arranging a special weekend visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to see the work of a favorite artist moves us deeply as well. Kids too feel and are moved and these emotions keep them so happy. In our Year of Happy I encourage you to include music and art in any way you can, as they are both so powerful for our students! As Fantine belts out in Les Miserables, “I Dreamed a Dream in Time Gone By!” Let’s do all that we can do to include these special aspects in our world as a reality, not just a dream!
Monday, November 9
"A" Week
PTA Coat Drive through 11/30
Tuesday, November 10
"A" Week
PTA Coat Drive through 11/30
Tuesday, November 10
FEO at 3pm for all staff - Google Slides w/ Jessica's students!
Gr. 3 Author Visit - Library Closed
Gr. 3 Author Visit - Library Closed
Wednesday, November 11
Happy Veteran's Day - SCHOOL CLOSED!
Thursday, November 12
CST @ 1:20pm
PTA Executive Board at 9am
Cultural Arts!
Jericho Staff Recognition at 7pm in our Auditorium
Tony is out of the building
PTA Executive Board at 9am
Cultural Arts!
Jericho Staff Recognition at 7pm in our Auditorium
Tony is out of the building
Friday, November 13
Happy TGIF!
Tony is out of the building
Tony is out of the building
Monday, November 16
"B" Week
Stay Put Drill at 9am
Tuesday, November 17
"B" Week
Stay Put Drill at 9am
Tuesday, November 17
PTA Meeting at 8:45am
FEO cancelled to prep for Thurs. Curriculum Fair!
Gr. 1 Author Visit - Library Closed
FEO cancelled to prep for Thurs. Curriculum Fair!
Gr. 1 Author Visit - Library Closed
Wednesday, November 18
Photo Retake Day - Staff Photo at 7:50am
Thursday, November 19
CST @ 1:20pm
Ice Cream Sale
Cultural Arts!
Curriculum Fair... Gr. 3-5 @6pm; Gr. K-2 @ 6:45pm; The theme is INNOVATION NIGHT!
Board of Education Meeting - 7:30pm- Come here our kids present!
Ice Cream Sale
Cultural Arts!
Curriculum Fair... Gr. 3-5 @6pm; Gr. K-2 @ 6:45pm; The theme is INNOVATION NIGHT!
Board of Education Meeting - 7:30pm- Come here our kids present!
Friday, November 20
Happy TGIF!
Happy TGIF!
Kindergarten Author Visit - Library Closed
Bus Drill #2
Reminders...
- Start working on report card comments & if you want me to read them, email me a copy of your comments or share them with me in a Google Doc;
- Nov. 12th there will be a staff dinner before the Staff Recognition Event at Cantiague - please attend and represent because I won't be in town!
- The theme for our Curriculum Fair is INNOVATION NIGHT so please feel free to do anything that would fall under that umbrella... Genius Hour, MakerSpace, etc.
- Next FEO meeting will be November 10th for all staff where Jessica's kids will be teaching us about Google Slides!
No comments:
Post a Comment