Happy Friday! Hope this week was a wonderful one for everyone - the weather was definitely better and more comfortable! This past week was great and it all started with EdCamp Long Island last Saturday, which was hosted at Jericho MS and organized by Don Gately. I know several of our teachers were in attendance and it was a powerful learning opportunity for me. Two of the highlights were a session on Makerspaces and a conversation about Book Love with JoEllen. I learned a lot and came to work this week with some new ideas. I am looking forward to the development of our #Cantiague Makerspace, which should be starting to evolve over the next few weeks with our $10,000 from our amazing PTA! If you are interested in learning a little more about Makerspaces or accessing some resources, scroll down and check out the links in the Tech Tip section.
With that being said, and with our ongoing conversations about technology, please understand that I am firm believer in the idea that technology and innovation are not synonymous! I have seen many innovative practices in our building that do not always involve technology and I thank you all for taking those risks. In my mind, innovation is about disrupting the norm and trying to creatively solve a problem! This graphic reinforced that notion for me...
#EDUWINS for the week included...
- Adam successfully integrated one of the lessons from the new TC Writing Units of Study and one of the components that really stood out was the mid-workshop check-in point - what a powerful (& necessary) stopping point! Adam was able to scan the room during the independent work time & assessed what most kids were struggling with and that became the focus of the mid-point check-in & it helped support some of the students who were struggling and kept them all highly engaged!
- Karen S. has done an amazing job with a little boy in Ally's kindergarten class. This little boy, who happens to be homeless and living in a difficult situation, comes to school tired, angry and sad a lot of the time, which makes learning and staying with the class difficult at points. Well, Karen, through her patient, loving and kind approach is able to engage him, help him get his "angrys" out and eventually rejoin the class to learn. I know I have said this before but a happy child is a child who can learn - thank you Karen (& Ally)!
- Donna and Christine successfully launched their MakerSpace this week and I highly recommend everyone visits their classroom to check out the simple yet powerful approach they used for this experience. There were several bins with different themes and resources included and the children worked in small groups to explore the bins. For example, there was an Art bin, Math bin, a bin with Tinker toys and the kids were incredibly engaged throughout the block. Definitely check it out and scroll down to learn more about MakerSpaces!
Tech Tip of the Week...
What is a Makerspace and how can we set one up?
Link to many Makerspace resources!
Blogs Worth Reading...
Using The Stories of Others To Begin Conversation On Race With My Students by Jessica
The Joyful, Illiterate Kindergarteners of Finland by Tim Walker
What's The Point of School? by Bill Ferriter
Staff Reflection/Blog...
Our latest post comes from a student (Darien) in Team Levlons as a follow up to last week's post about the power of creating a HAPPY classroom (remember, it's all about relationships)...
SCHEDULE OF THE WEEK...
Monday, October 12
"A" Week
School Closed - Happy Columbus Day!
DEAR Week (see email from PTA)
Tuesday, October 13
Link to many Makerspace resources!
Blogs Worth Reading...
Using The Stories of Others To Begin Conversation On Race With My Students by Jessica
The Joyful, Illiterate Kindergarteners of Finland by Tim Walker
What's The Point of School? by Bill Ferriter
Staff Reflection/Blog...
Our latest post comes from a student (Darien) in Team Levlons as a follow up to last week's post about the power of creating a HAPPY classroom (remember, it's all about relationships)...
#yearofhappy
How does it feel to be happy?
I’ll answer that for you, it feels really good. I am a fifth grader at
Cantiague Elementary. I wake up in the morning and I just want to be at school
with my amazing teachers and friends. In my classroom I love when we have
morning meeting. Everyone gets a chance to share and laugh with each other. The
same goes for our read aloud. Everyone can connect to the story and the
characters and we all wonder what’s going to happen next.
But, my classroom isn’t the only place that is happy in the
school. Everywhere, in the gym, in the music room, or on the playground, all
you see are smiling faces. Kids, and
teachers. Dr. Sinanis is especially happy. He comes into my classroom almost
every day, excited to see what we are doing. Sometimes he raises his hand to
answer questions. This makes everyone laugh and smile. Dr. Sinanis named this
year the Year Of Happy. I definitely agree. This is the #yearofhappy!
-Darien Schultz, an extremely happy 5th grader at Cantiague
Monday, October 12
"A" Week
School Closed - Happy Columbus Day!
DEAR Week (see email from PTA)
Tuesday, October 13
2 Gr. 4 classes on a Trip
Fire Prevention Assemblies (11am) for Gr. K - 2
FEO - different teachers going to different places!
Fire Prevention Assemblies (11am) for Gr. K - 2
FEO - different teachers going to different places!
Wednesday, October 14
PD with JoEllen for Gr. 4 & 5
Thursday, October 15
CST @ 1:20pm
PD with JoEllen for Gr. K & 1
Peter Catalanatto (author) visits Gr. 4 in the Library
PD with JoEllen for Gr. K & 1
Peter Catalanatto (author) visits Gr. 4 in the Library
Friday, October 16
Happy TGIF!
2 Gr. 4 classes on a Trip
Jericho Homecoming Weekend!
2 Gr. 4 classes on a Trip
Jericho Homecoming Weekend!
Reminders...
- Next week is D.E.A.R. (Drop Everything & Read) Week - this is sponsored by the PTA as a lead up to PARP Week! So, just Drop Everything & Read at least once this week!
- FEO on October 13th is for teachers only; Gr. 5 meeting with Eric; Gr. 4 meeting with Dan; details to follow for everyone else
- Planbooks to be submitted soon; remember, there are alternatives - ask me about them!
- I will be doing more formal observations in the coming weeks... starting with unannounced ones.

What and amazing Blog Post! Darien...you did a terrific job and I am so proud of the student and friend you have become! I agree that Cantiague is the place of "Happy"!
ReplyDeleteIt is truly remarkable when students say they are happy to come to school. #Cantiague is a happy place where kids and staff members love to be each school day!
ReplyDeleteTeam Marsen