Happy Friday to everyone after an awesome first week of school - a feeling of happiness totally permeated our building! I hope we all have some great plans for the upcoming three-day weekend. Thank you all for your hard work in making our first week of school such an amazing success. Clearly the families are happy with the way things started because there was not one concern about teacher placement this year (that is a first) and I have been getting really amazing emails, tweets and FB comments about how happy our kids are in school and that is all thanks to each of you! THANK YOU for being you and for making the #YearOfHappy a collective goal for #Cantiague!
In other news, I am excited to share that I am going to try changing things up a little bit with our Fast Friday Focus...
1. I am eliminating the Kids Korner & Pics because I think you all have plenty of those on your own!
2. Also, in our Tech Tip area, I am going to try and focus on Google Apps for Education (i.e. Google Classroom, Google Docs, etc.) as much as possible so that we can all figure out ways to incorporate this resource into every learning space throughout the building. I feel like a concentrated focus makes sense for us at this point.
3. I will also incorporate a Reminders section with a bulleted list of some important reminders.
4. I will share links to blogs that I think are worth reading... this is where the PD comes to you.
4. Finally, I would like to incorporate Staff Reflection/Blog section where each week a different member of our staff (or a pair, grade level, etc.) openly reflects and shares on something that is relevant or important to them - it could be something you tried in your classroom that failed, something you are proud of, a personal anecdote, an open reflection on the current landscape of public education, etc. It can really be anything but the goal is to get everyone comfortable with openly reflecting because research shows that reflection is at the core of professional and personal growth and development! So, here is my open call for volunteer number 1 for our mini staff blog... remember, only we can see whatever is shared here!
By the way, because the next two weeks are short, this Fast Friday Focus will cover the next two weeks!
#EDUWINS for the week included...
- Melissa doing the Skittles ice breaker with her class where the children worked in pairs or small groups (even I got to participate) and randomly picked a Skittle and depending on the color had to share something specific about themselves. I learned so much about two of her kids during this activity!
- Adam's class singing One Moment In Time by Whitney Houston. They were too cute, they sounded amazing and they were happy during the entire experience!
- Watching Mandy's class consider how a marshmallow and pretzel sound different as a way to help the children better understand when they should sound like a marshmallow (like being really quiet in the hallway) or a pretzel (like being loud and noisy at recess). The kids even tried eating one of each so they could "feel" the different sound level - it was AWESOME!
Tech Tip of the Week...
Check out this blogpost about getting started with Google Classroom!
Blogs Worth Reading...
But How Do You Really Teach With Picture Books - by Pernille Ripp
Tips for Creating WOW Worthy Learning Spaces - by Todd Finley
Creating Safe, Strength Based Classrooms - by Lori Desautels
SCHEDULE OF THE WEEK...
Tuesday, September 8
Blogs Worth Reading...
But How Do You Really Teach With Picture Books - by Pernille Ripp
Tips for Creating WOW Worthy Learning Spaces - by Todd Finley
Creating Safe, Strength Based Classrooms - by Lori Desautels
SCHEDULE OF THE WEEK...
Tuesday, September 8
"B" Week
PTA Room Rep. Orientation
NO FEO this week!
PTA Room Rep. Orientation
NO FEO this week!
Wednesday, September 9
Bus Drill #1
Thursday, September 10
Meet The Teacher Night...
- Gr. K - 2 at 6:30pm
- Gr. 3 - 5 at 7:30pm
Friday, September 11
Happy TGIF & Happy 4-Day Weekend!
F&P Testing
F&P Testing
Wednesday, September 16
"A" Week
F&P Testing
Playdates begin!
F&P Testing
Playdates begin!
Thursday, September 17
CST Meeting at 1:20pm
F&P Testing
Constitution Day
F&P Testing
Constitution Day
Friday, September 18
Happy TGIF!
F&P Testing
PTA Pizza Lunch for Kindergarten
Gr. 5 Car Wash tomorrow (Sat. from 10am to 12pm)
F&P Testing
PTA Pizza Lunch for Kindergarten
Gr. 5 Car Wash tomorrow (Sat. from 10am to 12pm)
Reminders...
- Make positive contact with every family before Meet The Teacher Night
- Sign up for F&P Testing
- Don't forget to do some sort of Constitution based activity on Sept. 17
- Think about ways you are going to amplify student voice this year!
- Spread the HAPPY around your room!
No comments:
Post a Comment