Happy Friday and Happy Winter Break to everyone! I hope you all enjoy a restful and relaxing break that will allow us an opportunity to recharge for March, which is always such a busy month with report cards, parent teacher conferences and the looming state tests. This week will be a busy one for me as I have to make some serious progress with my dissertation. I have class in Philly next week... only one more weekend of classes in March and then I am done with classes. Before all that business though, I am excited for this weekend because I am going to be celebrating Valentine's Day with Paul- the best valentine a dad could ask for! With that in mind, thank you all for the beautiful heart notes listing the things that you love about Cantiague - it is an honor to work with you each, learn from you each day and call you extended family. Happy Valentine's Day!
In other really important news, I want to officially congratulate and recognize two of our amazing colleagues... Lorraine Tedesco and Ginny Lindner. For those of you who have not heard, both Ginny and Lorraine will be retiring at the end of this year. Congratulations to two of the most amazing, passionate and dedicated educators I have ever worked with in my career. We will miss you terribly and please know that you have left your mark on Cantiague!
I want to begin by thanking Rande for helping me to facilitate our first every student-led Faculty Enhancement Opportunity. It was such a positive and powerful experience that really captured what Cantiague stands for - empowering students and amplifying their collective voices. Thank you Rande for giving them the time to prepare and thank you to each of you for being such a supportive and encouraging audience. The feedback many of you shared will be extremely helpful as we begin to plan for our next student-led professional development session. More details to follow on that event but we are aiming for early March. As a quick follow-up, if you want any of the students who presented to come to your classroom to either share with you or your students, please reach out to Rande - I am sure the kids would be thrilled!
Finally, whenever you get a chance, please reach out to either Donna, Christine, Melanie, Meryl, Jessica, Allison or Marissa (and there are others) to see the incredible digital publications created by their classes using Google Classroom and specifically Google Docs. The third graders generated newspapers about Brazil while the fifth graders wrote nonfiction pieces based on their own research. All I can say is... WOW! Thank you for pushing the kids to publish for a much broader audience!
This week, as I walked around #Cantiague this week, I spotted the following #EduWins...
- Congratulations to our amazing 5th graders who worked diligently to digitally publish their latest nonfiction research pieces. The majority of the children published using Google Docs (from within Google Classroom) and they finally began to see the power of publishing for an audience beyond the four walls of our school. Thank you Marissa, Allison, Christina, Jessica and Rande for taking a risk here and pushing our kids out of their comfort zones... AWESOME!
- Adam and his munchkins did an amazing job exploring the power of QR codes to share their video book reviews of their favorite books. The children did such an incredible job sharing their quick video reviews of their favorite book from 2014 and then creating the library of QR codes in the hallway took the experience to another level... BRAVO!
- Special shout out to Nancy and Carly who turned their classroom over to a group of Chinese parents to immerse the children in a rich and meaningful Chinese New Year Celebration. There were a few parents parents who facilitated a read aloud, handed out red envelopes, included the traditional dragon and encouraged the kids to make their own paper lanterns for a beautifully comprehensive experience... a true home/school connection!
Tech Tip of the Week...
As we continue to steam ahead in 2015, I thought you might be interested in this resource that spotlights 52 Of The Best Apps for the Classroom for 2015 - how many are we already using?
SCHEDULE OF THE WEEK...
Monday, February 23
Wednesday, February 25
Kids' Korner
Pics of the Week...
SCHEDULE OF THE WEEK...
Monday, February 23
"B" Week
Happy Monday & Welcome back from the break!
Gr. 3 - 5 ELA & Math After school Test Prep starts today
All teacher planbooks are due to Tony by Thursday!
Happy Monday & Welcome back from the break!
Gr. 3 - 5 ELA & Math After school Test Prep starts today
All teacher planbooks are due to Tony by Thursday!
Tuesday, February 24
F.E.O. @ 3pm - Full Staff
Wednesday, February 25
Happy Wednesday!
ELA & Math After School Test Prep
ELA & Math After School Test Prep
Thursday, February 26
CST @ 1:20pm
Cultural Arts... FINAL ONE!
Cultural Arts... FINAL ONE!
Friday, February 27
Happy TGIF!
Adios to February... March here we come!
This might be the date of Paul's surgery.
Adios to February... March here we come!
This might be the date of Paul's surgery.
Kids' Korner
While walking through the lunchroom, a kindergarten student ran over to me, wrapped his arms around my leg and screamed, "Mr. Sinanis, I love rubbing my face on your pants!" Of course, it was ice cream day and you can guess what was all over my pants. Good times!
Pics of the Week...
Check out Cantiague's Week in Tweets - click on the following link to see our Pics of the Week...
No comments:
Post a Comment