Thursday, September 11, 2014

September 12, 2014

Curriculum Connections...

Happy Friday to everyone as we head into the last few days of summer! I hope everyone had a wonderful week. It was a busy week that featured our annual Meet The Teacher Night last night and our New Family Breakfast and PTA Meeting earlier in the week. It was so great to have the families in the building because they are all so excited about the school year! Thank you for creating that positive buzz and nurturing a space that makes our kids happy and inspires them each day. I received so much positive feedback from our families this week because of your work so THANK YOU! 

A special thank you to MaryAnn for sharing all that important information with us at the F.E.O. on Tuesday about some of our classified kids and their needs. It is so important that we have that type of information because it helps us best meet the needs of our children. Of course, Mare just touched on a portion of the students who have special circumstances because we also have a bunch of unclassified students who have backstories that we should be aware of moving forward. If you know one of those backstories from last year because you had the student, please share it with the current classroom teacher because it could make a huge difference. Thank you in advance for your support in doing what is in the best interest of our children.


By the way, if you did not get a chance to read MaryAnn's latest post, click on the following link because it is an incredible read that could be helpful to all of us... Getting Your Kids To Talk

This week, as I walked around #Cantiague this week, I spotted the following #EduWins...


  • Tali read the book Fireboat and facilitated an amazing conversation about September 11th! The conversation wasn't only informative as it related to the historical facts, but Tali seamlessly connected the day's events to the importance of being a HERO. #PowerfulReadAloud

  • Jessica leading a conversation in her 5th grade class about author's tone and slant. One child asked for clarification about what the word slant meant and instead of defining it for her, Jessica asked the children to turn and talk to their partners to decipher the meaning. In the end, the children did a great job coming up with a collective definition with some support from Jessica!


  • Laurie did an awesome activity in the Science Lab with the fourth grade where she used a cupcake baked with different color cake to teach the children about the earth's geology - it was AMAZING!


Please refer to this post (especially for the Schedule of the Week below) for the next couple of weeks! 


Tech Tip of the Week...
As I mentioned in an email yesterday, there is an awesome LiveBinder that focuses on Genius Hour that is worth exploring if you want to try implementing it at some point this year. Although there is a lot to explore in that virtual binder, definitely check out this link to one post in the elementary tab that would be most helpful to getting started (there are also tabs in the binder separated by grade level)... 5 Ways To Help Students Think Creatively.


SCHEDULE OF THE WEEK... 


Monday, September 15
"A" Week


Tuesday, September 16
NO F.E.O.


Wednesday, September 17
Happy Wednesday!
Constitution Day - try celebrating during the day!


Thursday, September 18
CST at 1:20pm
Bd. Of Ed. Meeting - 7pm


Friday, September 19
Happy TGIF!
PTA buys Pizza for Kindergarten
Tony is at PENN - out for the day!


Monday, September 22
"B" Week
Kindergarten Hot Lunch Begins 


Tuesday, September 23
F.E.O. for all staff - 3pm


Wednesday, September 24
Happy Wednesday!
Happy Holidays to anyone celebrating... have a great 4-day weekend!


Kids' Korner

During one of my classroom visits, on a particularly hot and humid day, one of the kids turned to me and said, "Wow- it is hot in here and I am sweating in some really private places!" I nearly fell out of my chair laughing!! 


Pics of the Week...
Check out Cantiague's Week in Tweets - click on the following link to see our Pics of the Week...

1 comment:

  1. I love this format of communicating...very cool Tony! I am assuming F.E.O. stands for our faculty meeting on Tuesday? So, no meeting this coming Tuesday, but one the following. Are they every week? In the middle school we had a faculty meeting one week, followed by a curriculum meeting the next week, and it rotated like that. (What does F.E.O. stand for by the way?)
    I also would really like to thank everybody for being so helpful and so kind to me! You are making me feel much more comfortable at Cantiague, but I confess, there are times when I still do feel like a fish out of water...like I keep expecting periods to end with a bell ringing and, unfortunately, a few of my students have been late getting back to their classrooms because of me waiting for a bell! Hopefully, I will correct that quickly! I am also getting more exercise at work than I ever did at the middle school...running up and down the stairs to get my kids, making copies, checking my mail...I will lose 5lbs. by the end of this month I am sure!

    ReplyDelete