Happy TGIF to everyone and Happy Three Day Weekend - this is definitely a much needed little break - I know I am looking forward to some extra sleep and some time with Paul and Kelly! I hope each of you has some fun plans for the weekend - you all work so hard that any extra time with family and friends is so important! I am excited to share that our copies of TEACH LIKE A PIRATE have arrived and as soon as we work out the details, we will launch our #Cantiague Book Club experience. I have already tweeted with the author, Dave Burgess, and he agreed to be part of our Book Club experience in some way, shape or form... details to come!
On another note, I highly suggest that anyone looking to launch a Book Club in their classroom and wanting to help support the children's independence during the activity stop by Team M & M to see what they put together for their children. The "menu" of culminating activities really speaks to the power of project/passion based learning.
Meanwhile, just as an FYI, an uncle of mine (my mother's first cousin) passed away yesterday after a year long battle with cancer. It was a difficult last couple of months for our family because we grew up together on the same street and he was like a brother to my mom. I am not sure of the details at this point but I imagine that I will be out at least a day or two next week. As soon as I know the details, I will share that information just so you all know when I will be out of the building.
On to more positive and uplifting things, this week, as I walked around the building, I spotted the following awesome things...
- Lois was doing an awesome art activity with a group of third graders! The children were asked to fill a square sheet of paper with their name using block letters. The kids were excited to create this piece and Lois explained that as the process unfolded they would then cut the square up into pieces and realign it to create a piece of abstract art - SO COOL!
- Allison during the beginning of the writing workshop experience. The children were reviewing the Parts of A Writer where they went through every body part and how it shaped them as a writer. They then discussed different "mentor" texts that they used to help spark ideas for writing. WOW was all I kept thinking... is this really kindergarten?!?
- Melanie was doing an activity where the children were being "assessed" on their ability to create a sketch based on what they envisioned after Melanie read a text aloud to them a couple of times. Their attention to detail and ability to zoom in on specific words that best supported the image was impressive - they created some AMAZING sketches!
Please refer to this post (especially for the Schedule of the Week below) for the next couple of weeks!
SCHEDULE OF THE WEEK...
Pics of the Week...
Tech Tip of the Week...
Lately I have come across a few pretty awesome teacher blogs that I thought might be interested to spotlight this week as a resource - check them out...
Matt B Gomez - awesome K teacher!
Erin Klein - incredible Grade 2 teacher who also writes for Scholastic!
Krissy Venosdale - Tech Expert
Matt B Gomez - awesome K teacher!
Erin Klein - incredible Grade 2 teacher who also writes for Scholastic!
Krissy Venosdale - Tech Expert
SCHEDULE OF THE WEEK...
Tuesday, October 15
"B" Week
NO Faculty Meeting
Wednesday, October 16
Happy Wednesday!
Math in Focus Parent Academy - 7pm
Thursday, October 17
Math in Focus Training - Gr. 3 - Room 8 (all day)
CST at 1:20pm
Board of Education Meeting - 7:30pm
Friday, October 18
Happy TGIF!
Tony at Penn - out all day!
Monday, October 21
"A" Week
RED RIBBON WEEK Kicks Off - WEAR RED DAY!
Tuesday, October 22
Faculty Enhancement Opportunity
Red Ribbon Week - NO HW Tonight
Tony out of the building at a Conference
Wednesday, October 23
Red Ribbon Week - Bring a RED healthy snack!
Thursday, October 24
CST at 1:20pm
Red Ribbon Week - Exercise Day - we will make 2 or 3 random announcements for everyone to drop what they are doing and do an exercise (jumping jacks, run in place, etc.)
Friday, October 25
Happy TGIF!
Red Ribbon Week - Team Up for Healthy Living - Wear your Favorite Jersey!
Kids' Korner
During the Book Fair Preview Night, while I was working the register, one of the children came up to me and said, "Mr. Sinanis, shouldn't you be taking pictures on your iPad and tweeting them?" LOL! They know me so well!
Pics of the Week...
Check out Cantiague's Week in Tweets - click on the following link to see our Pics of the Week...
No comments:
Post a Comment