I have been contemplating how to start this week's newsletter every day for the last week and a half and every time I sit down to write it, I either find out that school will be closed again or I simply can't put into words all the things I am feeling and all the ideas floating around in my mind (its a scary place up there). First and foremost, let me say that I miss you all so much and having a chance to chat, text or email with most of you over the last few days has been a source of strength and inspiration for me in light of Sandy and the devastating affects she has had on many of our lives in some way, shape or form.
As some of you know, Kelly, Paul and I are doing well and fortunately missed the brunt of the storm as our block was spared any damage and in the end, we never lost power (mind you, being home isn't all fun and games - Kelly is ready to throw both Paul and I out but thats a whole other story). Knowing that this is our reality over the last few days, I feel some guilt because I wish I could share my home, electricity, power, heat, supplies and anything else any of you might need to start to return to some semblance of normalcy. Unfortunately, the fact that gas is hard to come by makes it difficult for me to make it out to Long Island and for most of you to come to Queens (the door is always open though -- our couch is comfy and Kelly is an amazing cook). Late last week, Kelly, Paul and I gathered bags of baby clothes, winter clothes, toiletries and a bunch of other things that we could donate and headed off to Queens College, which is currently being used as a shelter for those displaced by Sandy. We felt it was imperative for Paul to see how blessed we are and how horrible Sandy has been for many people around us. It was humbling, to say the least, to see families with babies who lost their homes and were now living and sleeping in the gym at Queens College - it is unreal to see how quickly life can change in a matter of minutes.
Of course, I know for some of us, the experience I just shared has become a reality - the idea of normalcy was shattered in seconds. I know Terri Shannon, Allison Yablon, Carolyn Korrow, Jen Broughal and Laurie Oddo (and there may be others that I don't know about) suffered significant amounts of damage to their homes and cars and in the end, lost a lot more than the material things that can be replaced. To Terri, Allison, Carolyn, Jen and Laurie (and anyone else affected), know that the entire Cantiague community (and Jericho community at large) will stand by your sides during this difficult time and offer whatever support possible and necessary.
The next few days will show once again why Cantiague Elementary School, and the entire Cantiague community, is the most amazing one in the world. In my short time here, we have survived a lot of "stuff" - the loss of our beloved Phyllis, you all helped me navigate and survive Paul's multiple surgeries and we lived through Hurricane Irene last year - just to name a few. After each situation, we struggled, came together and pulled through stronger than before. I am confident that the same will be true after our most recent experience with Sandy. We will come together, share a laugh, compare stories, lean on each other for support, regain normalcy and persevere because that is what we do at Cantiague - that is what defines Cantiague - strength, courage, character, a sense of humor and perseverance.
Sincerely (& humbled to be leading our school),
Tony
Schedule for TOMORROW (Wednesday, Nov. 7)...
Staff reports normal time;
Staff gathering/meeting/debriefing in the Library at 8:20am;
Students are on an hour delay so they should start officially arriving by 9:10am;
Specials will begin at about 9:25am (or around that time after morning announcements & everyone is settled) except for the following scheduling changes...
(Weisblack & Maione will have P.E. at 10:10am; Montonelli will have Art at 11:40am);
Lunch periods & dismissal times will stay the same;
Schedule of the Week (& Next Week)...
Thursday, November 8
All after school activities postponed;
Friday, November 9
Photo Retake Day is being rescheduled
Monday, November 12
School Closed
Tuesday, November 13
Tony & MaryAnn out of the building- Blue Ribbon Ceremony in DC
Wednesday, November 14
PTA Meeting at 9:45am
CST @ 1:20pm
Wednesday, November 14
PTA Meeting at 9:45am
CST @ 1:20pm
Thursday, November 15
Cultural Arts Begins
Curriculum Fair
Curriculum Fair
- Gr. 3, 4 & 5 - 6pm
- Gr. K, 1 & 2 - 6:40pm
Board of Education Meeting @ Cantiague at 7:30pm
Friday, November 16
Happy Friday!
Tony is at Penn (leaving by 10:30am)
Tony is at Penn (leaving by 10:30am)
Gr. 1 Open House @ 9am
Ralph's Ices Sale at lunch
This week has been an incredible eye opener for my family and I on so many levels. My heart is bleeding for all of the people who have truly been devastated by this storm. I know that our amazing Cantiague community will get through this together! For those of you that need help please let us know what we can do!
ReplyDelete